Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Waiting for her memoir (not)

I was actually quite interested when she told me of her aspiration to write, and has actually signed up for a writing course.

Of course, I had to ask: she was going to write with a view to what?

I want to write my memoir to leave as a legacy to my children, came her instant reply.

Memoir? Politicians, business leaders, prostitutes and the like write memoirs. Technically speaking, a memoir is a narration of one's career rather than one's private life.

She has been a homemaker, wife and mother since she married. And not even a particularly admirable one in any of these sub-roles.

And she hasn't exactly read or written much of anything, if at all. (She doesn't read my blog but that's not the point).

With the smile frozen on my face, I carried on listening to her as if anything she said made sense.

I have given what she said quite a lot of thought. I really do admire anybody's aspirations to write. The quality of writing, form, medium, reason, target readership matter little.

But I am not putting money on this project ever coming to fruition. I am not even betting on the first paragraph to ever be put on paper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prostitutes and memoirs? You should point that out to the woman. HaHa

sinlady said...

anon - heheh. maybe when next i see her.

wildgoose said...

My first thought was the same as anon's. Hah. Esp now that Tiger Woods is (was) pretty hot news. =p

sinlady said...

wildgoose - :) aiyoh, one day i must tell you about this woman.