Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Not my dinner guest

The girlfriend is a busy woman. She is single, holds a full-time job, and has an aged mother living with her.

And she gives dinner parties regularly. Always home-cooked. Always labour intensive. Always done with great deliberation and graciousness.

At the end of one of her dinner parties, I find myself in the lift with another of the evening's guests. For small social chit-chat, I said that was so nice of the hostess to have gone through so much trouble for us. The guest gruffly replied, "Oh, it's nothing. She needed to de-stress by cooking."

I was shocked and dismayed by her total dismissal of the friend's effort and hospitality.

Thankfully, we reached the ground floor, and I need not say anything more.

Hopefully, I need not see her again.

Definitely, I will never see her at my dining table eating my home-cooked meal which I had expended time and effort to lay out.

7 comments:

wildgoose said...

How unappreciative. Really upsetting if the hostess knew. I see the effort you and the man always put in for the dinners and wish I could help. Unfortunately, me can't cook.

sinlady said...

wildgoose - you are a great guest with helping clear the table and keeping the other guests entertained. the idea of being able to help cook in someone else's kitchen is a myth.

imp said...

not a nice comment at all. UGH. and best, she doesn't realize that it's quite rude of her to say a line like this after dining in the hostess' house.

sinlady said...

imp - not one bit nice.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

i have had friends like that. i will spend all day on getting a dinner party going and hear comments about 'oh you just want people to see your new home'. and they were not joking. dump her!

sinlady said...

edpj - i agree they were not joking. thanfully the guest is only friend of friend.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.