Saturday, January 09, 2010

To freeze or not to freeze

The upcoming trip to the US gets convoluted because we will be travelling to 3 different places.

The man will get his way - he will get the GPS so that we can navigate our way out of LAX to get on the northbound I-5 for the 100-mile drive over the grapevine into Bakersfield.

It's the cold weather. Friends have been telling us to be sure we have adequately warm clothes for Seattle, Bakersfield and New York city. Especially New York city. I have in my mind that we will be looking at temperatures of single digit C degree, so what's the fuss?

I finally thought to check the weather. Seattle and Bakersfield are, as expected, between 2 and 9 C. But NYC! Its been -2 to -6. And historically, it stays that way through February!

I thought of the many times I've been saying I'd sooner freeze than be caught wearing those warm puffy padded coats and a beanie. I feel my resolve weakening as I think of sub zero temperatures. Maybe I will be made to eat my words this time. But I am really loathe to not look stylish because of inclement weather.

I look for my full-length wool winter coat, scarf and padded gloves to see me through the cold. It really has to get to double digit sub-zero before I will look at puffy coat and beanie. Or, just maybe, I will stay true to form and choose to freeze...

7 comments:

dancingbunny said...

When I was at NYC in March last year, it was like -1 degree
Even when in washington, the sakura had bloomed.
Madness

wildgoose said...

Let me guess which you'll choose. lol... Me no like the cold either. Didn't even felt like getting out of hotel room when I was in Japan in winter. :p

LuLu said...

Oh *brrr*. Why not wait till April/May at the earliest to travel?

sinlady said...

bunny - oh yes i remembered :)

wildgoose - haha, and no price for getting it right.

lulu - we just don't have the flexibility this time about going stateside :( NYC was an afterthought.

imp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
imp said...

aiyah! no need to wear poofy things lah. so long it's not colder than -10. wear a thermal short sleeve frm M&S(pretty & comfy!), a cotton tee over and layer 3 merino wool sweaters and add a long wool overcoat. Done. It'll be damn warm lor. i was perspiring in -3/-4 under 3 layers of merino wool or cashmere sweaters the moment i'm indoors. It's so comfortable that i can stay out all day. u need the wool scarf and cashmere-lined gloves. No need ugly beanie lah. where's the chic fur box pill hat? that will do. or 1 flat black wool beanie underneath a beret also can. berets can't keep the ears/head that warm

sinlady said...

imp - ok. i believe you. no poofy jackets and ugly beanies required heheh.

head, hands and body taken care of. now i move on to think about my shoes.

wah, if the sun sekali shines in NYC i get heat stroke man. haha