Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Special People, Dear Friends

I am a fairly independent person. Truly I am. I try not to have to inconvenience people. Truly I do.

But there are times when I need help. And it is so good to know what steadfast friends I have, even the ones who are separated from me by time and distance.

The lot in Bakersfield (where?) are sterling. One offers to make the 2 hour drive over the grapevine to pick us up from LAX and drive us into town (a hard four hour turnaround drive). I absolutely refused this very kind offer. We will drive ourselves into town; we need a car locally in town anyway (they offer use of their car too). And the man will get his GPS to navigate ourselves out of LAX to get on the northbound I-5 and Hwy 99.

Another insists we stay with her for the four nights in town, saying everyone of my friends are within a two-mile radius from her and it will make her happy if we were her guests. That is hard to turn down. I graciously accepted.

I will clear out the storage facility I have maintained the past 10 years. There are furniture I have to dispose of. A third friend will ask around to see who the furniture can go to. That will be a big help.

I also make mention of two other people here who have been so helpful : my former colleague who unfailingly prints my hotel/travel reservations (I have no home printer yet) and a special friend I have not seen in years for her invaluable information on New York City.

I *heart* all you special people.

7 comments:

imp said...

therefore, you must have a good time on this vacation! enjoy yourself and don't let toxic people bother u. :)

wildgoose said...

and you must be very special to them for them to want to do this. :) enjoy the trip!

sinlady said...

imp - i will! and i won't!

wildgoose - oh, thanks for saying that, but these women are really very good to me and to each other. i will@

Anonymous said...

wow thats v nice of your friends. i agree with WG, you must be special to them! Enjoy your trip! - EDPJ

sinlady said...

edpj - thanks :) i will.

zewt said...

free accommodation is always appreciated, right :)

sinlady said...

zewt - hmmm. no leh. there are actually people, usually relatives, i would refuse. i'd spend the night at a bus stop if it came to that.