Monday, February 16, 2009

Love happens

Of late there has been a rash of stories on the dating industry which is experiencing an increase in uptake.

One reason given was the bleak economic times. The other was the scary prospect of spending Valentine's Day alone. Both are perfectly good reasons I guess. And I always thought love happens when it happens. Oftentimes when you least expect it. How naive of me.

As an intellectual exercise, I imagined using these services. I mentally worked through what I would say about myself - a gorgeous-looking, fun-loving free spirit who loves tropical sunsets by the beach . I would be looking for somebody who is similarly inclined.

But the reality is that what is asked and listed by the users of dating services is of sterner stuff like education, earnings current and potential, age etc. Makes me think of a job application; I feel like a reject already. And if I were accepted, would I really want to follow through and spend my days living up to the expectations I have declared.

A thousand life-times NO! Even if the chastity requirement is no longer high on the list (oh thank you that my dating history is not subject to strict scrutiny and, by the way, who uses that word anymore?)

I'd go to that beach by myself - single, free, gorgeous. I will enjoy that beautiful golden sunset by the beach. And know that I need not look so hard for love.

Because I know love will happen. It really will. Oftentimes when you least expect it.

8 comments:

Aelgtoer said...

I love your optimism. I really do. Gives me hope that an eternity of singlehood is not all that awaits :) Hugs.

wildgoose said...

I know someone who went for a speed dating and commented that the women were ole (early 30s) and desparate (he was in a desperate phase too). Totally turned me off the idea of going to these dating agencies though I was single for quite a while then.

sinlady said...

aelgtoer - never lose hope and never give up on finding love :)

wildgoose - aiyoh, get insulted some more. sigh.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

actually, i wouldnt have minded going to one if i were single. provided i dont have to pay top dollar for a decent dating agency, haha.

sinlady said...

edpj - got all different fees to cater to anyone. it would have been interesting to try out their services although i couldn't bring myself to do it.

Anonymous said...

My favorite was a woman who answered the "Race" question with : "If this actually matters to you, I hate you already."

dsowerg said...

Thank you for this. I too am living life with optimism although I do not know how long the present relationship will last. I try to take whatever comes with confidence and a smile in the heart.

sinlady said...

eve+line - i don't know anything about your situation so I can only wish hope that you find the love you are looking for *hugs*