Friday, February 06, 2009

English usage and abusage

Like any proud self-respecting Singaporean, I make reading the Straits Times part of my morning ritual. I read it for its news coverage, social commentary, editorial opinion, political and philosophical analysis.

And I read it to check my understanding and use of the English language.

The following excerpts are typical examples of what appears in said paper:

1. Murdered maid was in love triangle (Home, ST February 6 2009, page C4)
"Ms Yulia Afriyanti, is alleged to have died at the hands of her lover in a crime of passion."

I understand putting one's life in somebody's hands. I understand dying in the arms of a lover. I do not understand "is alleged to have died at the hands of her lover". I don't understand the comma appearing after the victim's name either.

2. How Govt can engage netizens effectively (Forum, ST February 6 2009, page A23)
"The perceived shroud of secrecy the Internet provides users makes them feel comfortable in ventilating their darker emotions or exploring more sinister aspects of their minds."

Ventilating? Suddenly I have difficulty breathing.

I will continue to measure my standard of English proficiency against the august Straits Times. It is, after all, one of the region's oldest and most respected English-language daily newspapers and a partner in the Speak Good English movement.

12 comments:

wildgoose said...

The ventilating part is hilarious. =P this is getting more and more common, isn't it? I wonder how many times the articles get edited.

Anonymous said...

i tell u, the ST english is uniquely ST.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

i absolutely detest how ST articles always mention the type of housing so and so lives in, even when it is totally unrelated. eg 'top student lives in one-room flat'. i mean, why are we defined by where we choose to live in?

sinlady said...

wildgoose - got such a thing as editing meh?

imp - well put :)

edpjunkie - oh, they are obsessed about mentioning age too!

dsowerg said...

HAHAHAH! I usually just skim through the papers so quickly that I don't spot howlers like this.

sinlady said...

eve+line - some are more glaring than others :)

btw 'ventilating' views is going to be the new way to use the word in ST. they did that again today!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps in person or on paper you "vent" your frustrations, but on blogs you "venitilate" your frustrations. More high tech? Hmmm....

sinlady said...

amit - long time no see!

nah - one ventilates, say, a room. not a view or frustration. the ST was just plain wrong with usage on this one.

Anonymous said...

Sure, you must ventilate your frustrations or else they get musty.

Hope all is well :)

sinlady said...

anonymous - all is well :)

Anonymous said...

Oops - anonymous was me!

sinlady said...

amit - i already guessed that :)