Monday, June 08, 2009

Sweden in the autumn with friends

I have been following the flurry of email exchanges among the friends about an autumn holiday in Sweden. The arrangement is to stay with the girlfriend who has a summer home which she now lives in year round. The itinerary basically consists of lake fishing, or else berry- and mushroom-picking in the woods, and spending time, lots of time, together.

I have been silent. Images run through my mind. None too appealing.

I never saw fishing as an enjoyable relaxing activity. I'd rather just curl up with a good book for quiet time.In which case, I don't need to go to a summer home in Sweden to do.

I think of cavorting through the woods with these people. Naked like the locals if the mood so moves them, but that is not likely. I think of severe urticaria eruptions on skin that came in contact with nettles, oak vines and poison ivy. I think of the man wearing a waist-pouch full of antihistamine pills and injectables around his otherwise naked body. I think of spending the remainder of the holidays scratching at itches so bad that you just want to rip your skin off.

I think of cooking and eating our haul of wild mushrooms. I think of mushroom poisoning; I shudder at the thought of suffocating to death with my mind still crystal clear to the very end.

I think of long stretches of time spent cooped up with the lot of them. After the first night of excited catching up, I imagine I am ready to part company. Except there would be nowhere to retreat to. I am certain the summer home is many hours' car ride to anywhere. So I will spend the rest of my time counting the days to going home.

I think I will have to see the wonderful people under other circumstances. In other places. Where I can escape company when I feel the need.

So I will remain silent about this great holiday adventure. Until somebody comes up with a prettier picture of holidaying together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweden sounds to me to be a great idea! i feel like i need a holiday badly, alone! - EDPJ

Anonymous said...

LOL, you are hilarious. This really made me chuckle because I can totally see where you are coming from. How far we have travelled from our youth when we would have jumped willy (no pun on the hubby) nilly into the fray in our earnest need to please & be pleased by others. Now we rather please ourselves and others are welcomed but at their own expenses & to their own devices. Is this age or just self realisation, eh?

Steph

sinlady said...

edpj - poor you! any holiday anywhere will be good for you right now.

steph ! the man says he'd rather take his chances at a nudist beach where there is a slim hope of good looking bodies haha.

i think it's age. we no longer feel the need to please others all the time. i like it like that :)