Friday, May 01, 2009

April

was the month

- that brought back bittersweet almost forgotten memories of the 70s.

- when a 25 year old women's rights organisation was ambushed by scary Christian women.

- in spite of wide media coverage and active blog posts I remained unmoved because the defeated side failed to put forth a convincing case that they deserve to be re-instated.

- the saga reminded me of the short-lived student protest I was in during my school days. At the first warning from the school administrators to disperse, only the student leaders were left standing. At the second warning that the police will be called in if the remaining protesters did not immediately stand down, the protest was effectively over. I never again got involved in protests unless it is (a) for a cause I believe strongly enough in that I will make personal sacrifices for, (b) the protest is well thought out and organised, (c) the members are deeply committed and (d) the leaders are fearless.

- I recalled one of my favourite songs from the era of my own coming of age era:



April gave us springtime and the promise of the flowers
And the feeling that we both shared and the love that we called ours
We had no time for sadness, that's a road we each had crossed
We were living a time meant for us, and even when it would rain
we would laugh it off.

I've got pieces of April, I keep them in a memory bouquet
I've got pieces of April, but it's a morning in May

We stood on the crest of summer, beneath an oak that bloss0med green
Feelings as I did in April, not really knowing what it means
But it must be that you stand beside me now to make me feel this way
Just as I did in April, but it's a morning in May.

I've got pieces of April, I keep them in a memory bouquet
I've got pieces of April, but it's a morning in May

No comments: