Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The "duh?" phone call

What did she call me for?

She is a work colleague from another lifetime ago. And like most friendships forged in workplaces, there is a hiatus in contact when we made our exodus and got caught up in our new and usually broadened horizons.

Over the last decade, I've seen her a handful of times. Always when one of the former colleagues blew into town. It seemed to be the only times we'd have a reason to get together.

So when she called out of the blue, I was completely taken aback, and steeled myself for some really bad news (sorry, I am such a pessimist).

She: How are you?
Me: Very well. And how are you?
She: Okay. What are you doing now?
Me: Now? As in this very minute?
She: Yes.
Me (duh?): Talking to you.
She: Are you still bellydancing?
Me: Yes.
She: Oh. You enjoy it?
Me (duh?): Yes.

The stop-go conversation went on for a very painfully long ten minutes. At the end of which I said I'd sms her places and teachers to go to if she's thinking of belly dance. I'd even go with her to get her started if it would help.

I sent the belly dance information last night. It was tedious tapping out the message on the phone keypad, but she is completely computer and net illiterate.

This morning I got her sms reply, "OK. Thanks."


(Duh??)

What did she really call me for?

2 comments:

tuti said...

she couldn't bring herself to say it. probably testing the ground if you're still all ears. haha.

sinlady said...

tuti - probably...just so strange, you know?