Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Customer Service Hotline

I delay paying up my magazine subscription renewal until I receive the really ominous sounding reminders. You know - the ones that threaten no-more-delivery after blah and blah date unless you renew NOW.

The thing is, the magazine provides no incentive for early renewal.

Anyway, I recently renewed a mag subscription. Three weeks later, I got another of their reminders to pay up. Or else. A bank balance transaction check showed the cheque not yet presented.

I called the customer service hotline. Some young thing answered with the standard time-of-day greeting, identified the company, gave her name and asked how she might help.

me: Hi, I sent in my cheque for magazine renewal 3 weeks ago and I wonder if my cheque was received.

she: Sorry, but all payments are sent to Hong Kong for processing before being sent back to Singapore to bank in.

me: Is there any way to find out if my cheque is received.

she: No, I am sorry.

me: How long does it take to be processed in Hong Kong?

she: Six to ten weeks.

me: Is there any way for you to see if my magazine delivery will be interrupted?

she: Sorry, I wouldn't know.

me (starting to feel hot under the collar): Ok, goodbye!

she: Is there anything else I may help you with.

me: No, goodbye!

she: Thank you for calling (blah and blah company). Please don't hesitate to call again should you need further help. Have a good day!

me: G-O-O-D-B-Y-E ! !

Oh wah!! A helpful airhead, that one!

6 comments:

imp said...

I swear these people are dumb. Do they even try to run scenarios before they implement all these processes??!

tuti said...

nowsssaday i give up on these customer service people. and on rare occasions when i get a good one, i write a commendation letter to their company, telling them to look after this staff well! because they are going to be an extinct breed.

sinlady said...

imp - it crossed my mind that this particular hotline is set up only to take new subscriptions.

tuti - you know, i am always in shock when i come across good customer service. that's so sad. thankfully the shock is few and far in between haha

wildgoose said...

they sure don't really want their customers to renew. And it is true that good customer service is rare.

tuti said...

sinlady, you have a funny bone tucked away somewhere..
i likey! :))

sinlady said...

wildgoose - i cannot even begin to explain the silly conversation...

tuti - :)