Sunday, August 02, 2009

When the manager steps in

I was looking to buy a particular CD. I called the vendor to ask if said CD is carried in their store.

The staff who took my call was nice enough even if she couldn't answer my question: "I'm sorry, ma'am, but I am not sure about the CD. I have no update so far and my manager has not yet stepped in right now."

Maybe I am just being prickly and picky, but why do people try to sound too clever with English and end up mangling the language. What does she mean the manager has not yet stepped in? She could have simply said the manager hasn't come in yet. Stepping in implies an sense of casualness, like popping in for a short time only rather than come in to assume the hours of the work shift. (I am not going to tackle the "not sure" and "update" bits in her answer.)

Like I said, the staff was nice enough. She took down my name and phone number, and called me back with the answer soon after, when the manager finally
stepped in.

2 comments:

Photo_Vigor said...

May I know which store is that?:D

sinlady said...

photoV - no lah. not nice to mention names. you have a nice blog :)