Saturday, August 01, 2009

July

was the month

(ang ku kueh)

- The apartment directly below me started renovation work. The noise was unbearable. Luckily, heavy continuous drilling is permitted only from 9am to 2pm Mondays to Fridays. I still have the peaceful weekends.

- I actually miss having an office to go escape the noise.


- I accepted lunch dates from anybody who looked for me. Including all those private banker types who are still flogging dubious structured products. I really need to get to know a better class of people.

- I went to shopping malls which I never thought to go to. So far, I have covered Vivo City and Jurong Point. Both were big enough to occupy me for several hours. But when one is not actually shopping, it makes for a very empty experience. I wondered why I loved gallivanting in my (much) younger days.

- I visited old neighbourhoods that I don't usually go to. Like Joo Chiat and Alexander Village. I got reacquainted with long forgotten snack foods like ang ku kueh.

- Mother is still ominously quiet. Maybe my sister is right - the old woman has really forgotten about us. Or she is too busy consorting with unsavoury Chye-nah people who give her time of day because they have design on her money. Neither possibility is good but I value my peace and sanity too much to find out what's happening.

9 comments:

dancingbunny said...

This reminds me of the ondeh ondeh and ang ku kueh I had at malacca last weekend...leave me craving for more!

sinlady said...

bunny - so many kueh kueh's to love !

wildgoose said...

Have lunch with the CC aunties? =p me can't stand these ppl who meets you only to suck money from you. like my insurance agent "friend" who keeps asking me to recommend only high income earning friends to her. Oh please. I wouldn't recommend any even if I know their incomes.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

alamak, they are still renovating? when is it finishing? i feel your pain, starting at 9am it means that u cant sleep if u wish.

as for lunches, aiya, just treat it as free lunch from the bank only!

sinlady said...

wildgoose - aiyoh, cannot tahan to be with aunties too much also leh.

oh, i have come to hate the term "high income earning" or "high net worth".

edpj - till end august!! but sure longer than that one.

sometimes i think easier i just go sit somewhere and eat alone haha

suzie wong said...

wow! shop for hours? what's that? haven't done that in ages.

WG-so annoying! u mean normal people don't need insurance meh? haiyo

sinlady said...

suziewong - i know. sounds so shiok right? haha

dsowerg said...

I know where these kuehs come from!

Have been going there lately to visit the bike workshops so I drop by for the kuehs.

sinlady said...

eve+line - u ride motorbike? wow! that kueh store almost always have a queue. if no queue means sold out haha