Monday, March 23, 2009

The twit in the dress shop

The dress shop happens to carry the bohemian style of clothes and accessories I adore - ethnic, peasant, beaded, lacy, patchwork, vintage. I enjoy browsing in there; happiness is when I find the item I absolutely must have even if I have no idea when or how I will use it. Other times, I just have to be content with having enjoyed poking around the cramped little store, but there was just nothing I really wanted.

Sadly, of late, the shop is manned by the most unacceptable twit of a salesgirl.

First she annoyed me by being right by my elbow the entire time, asking incessantly, "Anything special you are looking for?" In spite of my repeated answer of "No. I am just looking, thank you" she stayed right beside me.

When I told her I would enjoy browsing on my own, she actually said, "It is our policy to serve our customers very close."

Then she proceeded to give me this utter rubbish of sales spiels: "All the clothes are personally designed by my boss." Sigh. I so wanted to tell her the entire inventory came from places like Chatuchak; they may be handpicked by the boss, but they are certainly not personally designed.

I left the shop without buying anything that day.

I happened by the shop a few days later. Same twit was there. The moment I walked in, she walked right up to take her position by my side. As politely as I could manage, I told her to please leave me alone to look around by myself.

And she said, "Oh? You are still looking around?" Yes, in exactly that tone.

That's it. I left the store. And it crossed my mind that I should call up her boss to do something about the twit's style of customer service.

I did not act on my impulse. Instead, I resolved that I would not be in there again until the twit was removed by some other unhappy customer.

Well, I walked past the store again today. I still love the range of clothes in there. But it still came with the same insufferable twit who was busy pissing off another customer.

Maybe it is time to make that call to the boss...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"it's our policy to serve our customers very close"...hahaha. I would probably hold a finger under my nostrils and say "yah, I can smell your breath!"

imp said...

tell the boss lah!!! if the twit is still there after with the same attitude, then the boss would be a little strange...

Anonymous said...

poor you! i know how you feel. which is why i try not do physical shopping unless i have to or there is a compelling reason for me to shop that day. 3a

sinlady said...

suziewong - aiyoh!

imp - i think i will. the twit probably the daughter! *arghhh*

3a - but i like poking in the stores leh.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

can imagine your blood boiling with this one! sales people who stay right behind me when i shop irritate me the most, just kills the shopping mood straight away.

wildgoose said...

I would walk out too. Can't stand sales people like that.

sinlady said...

edpj - it's like they don't want you to touch anything, right?

wildgoose - actually, when i think about it, there are a lot of really annoying sales staff. sigh