Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My life these days

I have settled nicely to not having to go to work. Many people are just not able to understand or are not willing to accept that I am really content with my life as is.

Sure, some things about work life I do miss. I miss taking care of the cheery and gracious people I met in the course of my work. I even actually miss the meaningless workplace gossip at times, puerile entertainment that it might have been.

But I do not miss any of the work regiment and I definitely do not miss the stress that comes with the territory.

I alocate three days in the week as me-time. This takes the form of dance sessions during which time I put aside vexations to immerse myself fully in the music and movement. I assign one day to doing the necessary household chores. The other free days are just that - free. Free to meet up with friends, catch a movie, read that book.

I am free to travel when the fancy strikes.


Free also to indulge my favourite cooking, which is making desserts. And, when I have something to put into writing, I update my blog.

Here's where my friends have plenty of well meaning intentions but not well thought-out advice.

You cook so well! I love your (insert favourite food)! Why don't you consider opening a restaurant?

You write so well! I enjoy reading your blog! Why don't you write a book?

Because, my friends, I don't want to get back to work in a restaurant or write a book. I don't even have anything to put into a book!. I want to just enjoy the freedom I have.

If I cooked for you, believe me, it was a labour of love.

When I update my blog, it's because I have something to share with you. (And while I am at it, I want you to know I know you do not read my blog.)

That's my life these days. I have no complaints. I am content.

17 comments:

wildgoose said...

Open a restaurant? You'll never get to rest! It's funny how ppl tends to think that people without a job has nothing to do. There's plenty to do outside of work.

sinlady said...

wildgoose - i think they just can't stand it that I am too content lor hehe

Anonymous said...

like this, like you = best.

Anonymous said...

you know something...I actually enjoyed being a housewife after I stopped working for a mth n a half...its nice

sinlady said...

imp - that is the truth :)

bunny - i remember you were so much happier :)

Anonymous said...

One day but don't know when it will happen i wish i could retire and enjoy life. I like the way you handle and organise things, must learn from you hehehehe. Usually people who enjoy gossiping don't have enough work to do and when they have things to do they start to winch. Ini orang betul celaka, tak ade kerja kita tolong, sudah dapat kerja dia gigit kita.

Have a nice day and take care - this is nyonya melaka

wildgoose said...

Oh... and I forgot to say, I always enjoy dinners at your place. So much thought and effort. Same for the food from edp junkie and hubby.

sinlady said...

nonya - must appreciate life all the time. cannot just wait for the future. but yes, one day you will shake leg like me. hehe

i am not that organized lah, but thank you for saying so.

wilgoose - oh thank you :) must start to do more often again. get edpj's growing boy too! haha

Anonymous said...

some parts in paragraph two i think u are referring to me..:P

aiya you write so well and cook so well...why don't you write a cookbook! wah! lamest! (sorry ar i too stressed at work after holiday)

Anonymous said...

next time mesti cuba nyonya punya gulai lemak udang with kacang boncis (french beans) ahdoi memang sedap mampos.

sinlady said...

suziewong - not tokking about you since u visit my blog all the time. i compile cookbook you contribute your super buttercream butter cake hor.

nonya - wah! too good! can't wait!

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

whoa this kind of life makes me envious! who wants to work if u can help it?! thats something i aim for when i save enough for retirement!!

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

yah we must get together again soon! suzie, i miss your butter cream cake too!! yup, i share WG's view... really feel honored to be invited to dinner at the open deck always.

Anonymous said...

Oh I find many people in Singapore become very very uncomfortable to hear I don't have a regular job. It's like they can't quite imagine how it's possible to survive without one, much less raise a family. And even when I try to assure them that in fact you can make a living in the arts, they are almost desperate to hear that at least I have a regular gig somewhere. The thought that not only does this person not have a full time office job, but not even a regular gig is somehow too scary to contemplate.

I totally understand and envy your lifestyle. In fact, if my rent hadn't doubled in the last year I would doing a fair approximation of it.

Somehow the idea of someone being content to be free is a really hard concept for many.

sinlady said...

edpj - it does all come down to financial ability. i know people who say work is their life. i don't understand them. esp when they have the financial means to stop work.

we wmust organize get together soon!

amit! in other words, how dare you not have a REAL job haha

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think you nailed it - some people find it vaguely offensive. Perhaps they see it as a repudiation of their 9-5 (or more likely 8:30-7:30) lifestyle, especially since they have made such sacrifices to live like that.

sinlady said...

amit - stay true to yourself, friend.