Friday, March 20, 2009

Scary years

My guess is that I am the median age in this group of dance aunties. Everyone is 10 years on either side of me and it would be hard to figure out the exact age of any of us. There is real comfort in this observation - we are simply this group of "older women" leading an active lifestyle with folk dance.

Until.

Woman 1: I feel that the years 50 to 65 are very scary years. You notice the high mortality in this age group? Or else all kinds of ailments start at this time? But if you live past 65, you will live a good long life.

Me: Well, it's because in this age range, our bodies are going through a lot of changes.

Woman 1: How old are you?

Me: I turn 55 this year. And you?

Woman 1: 51.

Woman 1 to Woman 2: And how old are you?

Woman 2: I am much older. 73.

Now, this is all very scary because:

Woman 2 looks nothing close to 73. She can pass for 10 years younger, and a very good specimen even at 63.

Woman 1, at 51, looks older than me by maybe 3 to 5 years.

I just always assumed I look my age.

I look around me. I no longer know just how old the other women are. I don't even know how old I look.

I don't know why I find it scary when a person does not look her age in either direction. I just know I don't like being scared of something I can do nothing about. So I resolved I will stop talking about age with these women. So I can stop scaring myself. Haiz.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think personaility plays a part in how a person took to his/her age. Especially women. Particularly you have those freaking bitches who are so damn childish that you want to slap them for the kind of behaviour they display "just because they are in foul mood". I really hate those women who does that and it pissed you off because you are just trying o be nice even when you dun feel like it and people are doing the exact opposite. This is a pain in the ass. You wish these idiots will just crank off and die.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

hahaha, u are funny. today i was at a table of married people around my age (or so i tot they were!) and i unwittingly asked one of the girls if she and her husband were on the lookout to buy a property (while we were on the subject of babies and properties), and it turned out that she was not married at all. it just came out so naturally, as i have this tendency to assume that everyone is at the same age or same life stage as me, especially when i am on the same frequency with them. it happens as well when i was single and childless, when i just assumed that everyone was dating and not married.

sorry to digress, but yes, it is kinda scary to know that people dont look their age. and i do assume that i look my age too (or so i hope!).

Suzie Wong said...

Dancingbunny, don't speak too soon....erratic behavious is comething that somes with age and uncontrollable....I'm feeling it already. I may soon be behaving like this! ok, i dun want to scare you but...sigh!

SL-you look, dress, behave NOTHING your age, you hot mama. Honestly I've always thot it was about 5 years less.

EDPJ-yes last night something very embarrasing happened. I was doing a show and singing "stand by your man". Amongst the rather sedated crowd, one mature, rather aunty-ish looking lady was singing along. I went to her and she completed the chorus and I praised her for being a good wife and her husband must be very lucky. Turned out she was not married...uurgh! So i had to quick witted say "Man, you are very lucky, she makes a good wife!"

sinlady said...

bunny - aiyoh! have some patience with us lah. like suziewong says, some of us can't help getting old and cranky haha

suziewong - oooh..i like you haha

Anonymous said...

I am proud that you still maintain your hour glass figure without having to go thru slimming course and those killer pills.
I have known you since 2002 and till to date you still maintain your youthful personality.

Always stay happy and cheerful
Nyonya Melaka

Anonymous said...

hi suzie and sinlady...i am perfectly fine with ladies who gets cranky with age..its normal...though we try not to be like that when we aged....the problem is when the person I encounter are young but yet grouchy with life when they literally have almost everything in life....now that's what I call scary

sinlady said...

nonya - i was never hour glass figure lah. but thank you about everything else you said :)

bunny - suziewong and i will remember you said it's alright for us to be cranky at you hehe

dsowerg said...

I find this entry very funny! I'm not exactly looking forward to my 50s or 60s. Even my monthly hormonal changes are driving me nuts. I can't imagine how it will be like when "The Change" starts taking place. Eeks!

sinlady said...

eve=line - turns out comments funnier than post haha.

changes during "the change" is very individual. some women lucky till they hardly noticed anything.

wildgoose said...

It is nice to be in a group when you can talk about common interests and age doesn't matter. And I'm lucky to have met older women who are active and fitter than me (like Suzie)! So really I never understood this talk about age and limitations. And I think being active does help one to stay looking and feeling young.

As for me, I know ppl used to think I'm younger than I look but I'm starting to feel otherwise.

sinlady said...

wildgoose - u die. u call suziewong an older woman! haha

wildgoose said...

Older than me mah. It's all relative. =)

sinlady said...

wildgoose - ok lah.