Saturday, January 03, 2009

She danced?

I debated long and hard before deciding I need to air my grouse regarding this programme :

Genre: Variety
Duration: 30mins
No. of Episodes: 13
Cast: Belinda Lee 李心钰.
Synopsis: Our host, Belinda Lee now travels to these world capitals of modern and cultural dances to get a crash course on dancing. At the end of the journey, Belinda will either show off her dance steps she has learned or in fact, put through a real performance on stage! "Come Dance With Me" is the ultimate travel experience that mixes a dose of reality-TV, exoticism and adventure.

*This series expire on 31 March 2009

I saw the repeat telecast of three of them - Flamenco, Bellydance and Ballroom.

I have issues aplenty with the whole concept - that anybody can master a dance form after a crash course (four days, to be exact) and be good enough to show off what was learned, or better yet, put in a real performance.

On a personal level, I think she showed nothing but arrogance at the end of 4 days of intense training.

On a larger scale, I think it is unmitigated disrespect to presume that one has even begun to grasp the basics of any dance just because one has put in some hard hours with master teachers, never mind trying to do any justice to the dance form.

She mimicked the different dances, doing a better job with some than others. But she made a mockery out of dance as a discipline that would take years of dedicated training to master.

Come dance with me? I don't think so.

4 comments:

wildgoose said...

I only watched snippets of one epidsode (classical Indian dance) and I merely saw it as a travel/entertainment programme and not meant to informed its viewers.

sinlady said...

wildgoose - you've seen the best bits then.

Anonymous said...

i never watched leh. so don't dare to comment.

but...how good can an entertainment show be??

sinlady said...

imp - entertainment shows can be, well, really entertaining.

the host here took herself damn seriously when she was at best featherweight.