Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An old fashioned cake

I loved this steamed sponge cake as a child. I remembered the amah whisking eggs and sugar to a froth; then something about adding fizzy soda pop to make the cake rise; then carefully folding in the flour; then holding our collective breath as the cake steamed. Happiness was when the cake came out right - it must not "open" (this is not huat kueh), it must not sink, and it must not be full of holes.

The cake isn't particularly sophisticated in texture or taste; it just has nostalgic appeal. I decided that this will be my dessert contribution at the Chinese New Year dinners.

I tried several of the versions available online.Results ranged from spectacular failure to near-success. I finally approached an old style amah I knew from long ago. She ran the recipe and method by me, which I promptly put to the test.

This is the most successful one todate. The friends will have this old fashioned dessert over CNY. I add either dates or citrus peel to make the cake more celebratory.

Footnote : the online recipes are missing two vital "secrets" in their list of ingredients so the cake, if it doesn't burst open or sink, will just taste plain. I think their cooking (steaming) time is also too short.

p.s. Yes I will share recipe with those who are interested.

10 comments:

wildgoose said...

Is this kind of cake still being sold? I've never seen anything like this.

Anonymous said...

please share your recipe? Arene

sinlady said...

wildgoose - it is but a really bad version - too sweet and too fluffy so it tastes like sweet cotton wool!

Arene - nonya, give me email leh. write me sinlady@gmail.com

wildgoose said...

Is it what they call "ma lai gao"? But the ones I've seen doesn't have anything inside.

Hmm... That sounds like cotton candy. Not bad too. :p

sinlady said...

wildgoose - i think it is ma lai gao. and it is plain. i like adding the dates or citrus peel to give it some oomph.

Anonymous said...

ok nonya oledi email to your gmail. Arene

sinlady said...

Arene - recipe sent. let me know how it turns out.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

eh, can i have recipe too? u know me, i will ask shanster to bake. hehe.

sinlady said...

edpjunkie - sent to you. it's nothing to shanster since he makes much more complicated cakes than this!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.