Monday, December 08, 2008

Some evenings are like that

One recent evening ...

Strange how I never realised he talks too loudly with too-frequent punctuation of projectile laughter at nothing funny. But then I had never been around him outside of the bars. And now we are in the girlfriend's home where she had organised what seemed to be a reunion of her favourite barfly uncles.

As the night progressed, he got more and more garrulous, now dredging up names of nefarious characters he remembered while in an inebriated state in the hazy past. I soon gave up trying to be sociable for the evening and left early.

Another recent evening ...

Strange how I never realised she never talks again after the initial hello's. But then I have never been around her outside of a family dinner environment at her sister's home. and now we are in a fancy restaurant having pre-dinner chit chat over cocktails.

By the time we got seated for dinner, her brain had totally shut down so that now she was furiously fluttering her perfectly mascaraed eye-lashes to make her come across as interesting. I soon gave up trying to be sociable with her and turned my attention to the person seated on the other side of me.

Maybe I am already weary from too many get-togethers.

Maybe there are a lot of people who should never be lifted out of their comfort zones - barflies should be left at the bar, home-bodies should be left at home.

Maybe I should just switch off brain, disengage mouth gear and be nicely dumb. There are 3 full weeks more of December parties to get through.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear! i hope there're other nice people around to make it a good evening still. heheh. take it as the 2 types are entertaining yoU!

wildgoose said...

Now I know why you don't like Dec. :p It's like attending weddings for me. Too many ppl and all the noise makes my brain shut down; but still have to maintain polite conversation with ppl I hardly see.

sinlady said...

imp - oh yes, there were other pple i enjoyed chatting with. just that it feels awful to have to intentionally snub pple, u know?

wildgoose - oh, the party scene is a big part of the season i have to deal with. it's like the whole month is dedicated to what other pple need me to do for them.

Anonymous said...

it's good to know dec is a month I get paid for entertaining! :P

sinlady said...

suziewong - oh yes! wishing u loads of gigs!