Saturday, December 20, 2008

About a special friendship

Friendship in any form has to be one of life's greatest gifts. And friendships form oftentimes in the least expected of ways.

I first noticed the young woman about 5 years ago at a couple of bars that featured open mikes. She and I continued to run into each other like that over a 2 year period. We said hi, we sussed up each other with mild interest, we shared mutual friends (and non-friends), but we never really got further acquainted beyond this very casual level.

Just as casually, we stopped going to these bars. So for a while there, we lost sight of each other, in a manner of speaking.

We picked up each other's trail again from our blogs, and a curious thing happened. I feel I have a better understanding of this person's soul, a deeper appreciation of her intellect, and an unshakeable respect for her integrity through her writing.

And just when I thought I have all the insight that there is to have, she surprises me one more time - she snail-mailed me my Christmas card with a personally penned note! Which I find such a charming and gracious tradition of the season.

So, I am moved to let her know how much I appreciate the friendship forged in our unconventional way.

And may you and yours have more "ups than downs" in the new year too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have to confess it is a greater pleasure knowing you from the blog than in physical presence at the bars. those are not the best places to meet savory people. i must rectify that with elegant tea and scones very soon. :)

Anonymous said...

gotta add this: your blog actually gave me time and opportunity to know you so much better than those years of hi-bye! it's a privilege for me that you gave me your bloglink! :)

Anonymous said...

imp is really a sweetheart

sinlady said...

imp - i totally agree that we really enjoy getting to know each other thru the blogs. and oh, the characters we met at the bars *shudder*. yes yes, do tea-time soon:) grab suziewong too and have a reunion.

suziewong - definitely

Suzie Wong said...

yes yes, now that I'm the "lao ban" can do tea, but after chinese new year cos suzie wong busy til cny

sinlady said...

suziewong - it's a date !