Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'd like to teach the world to sing

After all these years, the "I'd like to buy the world a coke" ad still makes me want to sing along with it.

And I recall a time when I truly believed that harmony - racial, religious, cultural - was possible. The year was 1971.

I look at the headlines these days, and I wonder what went wrong?

This is the 1984 Christmas tree version:


I'd like to buy the world a home
and furnish it with love
Grow apple trees, honey bees
and snow white turtle doves

I'd like to teach the world to sing
in perfect harmony
I'd like to buy the world a coke
and keep it company
(that's the song I sing)

I'd like to teach the world to sing
in perfect harmony
I'd like to buy the world a coke
and keep it company
(It's the real thing)

4 comments:

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

oh.. this brings back good memories!

sinlady said...

edpjunie - still sounds good to me now :)

wildgoose said...

I never knew this song had the line abt having a coke. But I can still remeber the ad. :)

sinlady said...

wildgoose - it's a coke ad! of course got buy coke line. it's also a new seekers hit without the buy coke line :)