Sunday, November 11, 2007

Will you tell me?

I am not fond of this woman, to say the least. I have not seen her in over a year, and I do not miss having no news about her. But I finally met her again over the weekend.

In the intervening months, she broke up with the scum she called her boyfriend. It was not a pretty picture. He would not work (I told you he is scum); she supported him financially. He is wholly dedicated to living well (off her), looking good, and screwing around with all manner of other women.

I believe she knew about his philandering for a very long several months before she finally confronted him and then tossed him out on his ear. Anyway, this woman now proceeds to give excruciating details of who told her where the scum was seen with whom and when and what.

And then she puts the question directly to me: did I know about this?

Flashback to school days. First crushes, first dates, first loves. I remember good loyal girlfriends who will do everything to watch out for you. Protect you. Even lie to cover for you. And we have asked ourselves this: "If you knew my boyfriend/fiance/husband was cheating on me, would you tell me?"

There were two distinct opposing camps on this moral dilemma.

The first camp says no, they will not tell because there is a chance the dalliance will run its course and you will be none the wiser for it.

The second camp says yes, they will tell because you must be given the chance to make an informed decision whether you should devote any more of your time and life to the bastard.

I belong firmly, categorically, unflinchingly to the second camp (surely you can guess?)

Back to the present:

she: did you know?

me: yes. i saw them many times at many places. aren't they disgusting?

she: and you did not tell me?

It felt sooo deliciously good that, finally, I was able to say to her:

why would i? you are not my friend.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steady. I like your style.

Suzie Wong said...

applaud! when she asked me this question the last time and i stupidly said yes, i opened up the chance for her to 'blame' me for hiding the facts from her! I stupid right? Haha, as if she would have believed me that time! ah...anyways, whatever!

Anonymous said...

wow!!! you did that?!! wow.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you said that! Lol...

sinlady said...

ok you people...thanks for being on my side. It felt like I went 15 rounds in the boxing ring by the time i got to say what i did.

suziewong - I thought of you at that very moment!

Aelgtoer said...

I'm impressed. :) Glad you gave her what she had coming. ^^

sinlady said...

aelgtoer - aiyoh, she had me backed up against the wall leh.

JM - too bad she will never see the elegance that poetic justice was played out.