Wednesday, November 07, 2007

That trishaw uncle story

I have been following the trishaw uncle story for a whole week. I have read some of the comments that range from the sympathetic to the vitrolic. One question keeps popping up for me:

Pedalling the trishaw reduces the trishaw rider to little better than a beast of burden. Why do we still have trishaws in Singapore?

And the only answer I come up with is:

We have trishaws in Singapore for the crass amusement of tourists.

That puts the fracas in a whole new perspective for me. And it makes me mad.

5 comments:

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

these angmohs are freaking mean. they should be hanging by their penises

sinlady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sinlady said...

Those guys are absolute louts. But I think the issue is why do we still have trishaws which demeans human labour?

Suzie Wong said...

I've been thinking how to comment on this for a long time but didn't know how. But whether these ah peks choose to demean human labour but not self-respect. does that make any sense?

sinlady said...

I know what you trying to say. That these ah peks are just making an honest living the only way they know how. But I still say there is no reason for trishaws as tourist attraction in singapore. I would not get into a trishaw in malaysia; I will not help create the demand.