Wednesday, October 14, 2009

to market to market

to market to market to buy a plum bun
home again home again market is done

Mother Goose
I love the festive excitement of outdoor markets, particularly the ones in small country towns. It is a treasure trove of the best of all things local - from farm-produce to mouth watering home-made jams, happy fresh-cut flowers of the season to quaint arts and crafts.

The Saturday market in the medieval renaissance town of Uzes is such a one. Except this one is huger than any I have ever been to. Set up in Place aux Herbes, it covers several blocks radiating in all directions, filling streets, vaulted archways and buildings.

After 3 hours of poking around hundreds of stalls, I found that I had barely covered a quarter of the marketplace. By then, it was 1 pm and the stalls were starting to pack up for the day.

Note to self : I will have an earlier start and not loiter in any one place for too long the next chance I have to return to this fascinating market.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the cheese! the bread! yum - EDPJ

imp said...

what beautiful colors! i love the sights, sounds and smells of these markets!

wildgoose said...

3 hours! perfectly understandable. everything looks beautiful.

sinlady said...

edpj - they were! and oh, the freshly made nougat!

imp - yes...everything is so alive!

wildgoose - 3 hours and only a quarter of the market covered! need better strategy.

dsowerg said...

I'm weeping with envy now. I love weekend markets especially those in Europe! Lots of fresh produce, cheeses, wines... I'm getting hungry now.

sinlady said...

eveline - oh this one @ uzes has to be the mother of all ang moh weekend markets!