Saturday, May 31, 2008

Painful People

Our last day to vacate the office is Monday June 2. As expected, we had a fairly busy week clearing our work cases. At the same time, we were also packing ourselves out of the office in stages. It should have been smooth sailing, allowing us to come in on Monday for a final clear-out.

Until a particularly unwelcome phone number showed up on my mobile early this week. I groaned inwardly even as I put on my most professional voice to take the call.

she: My husband and I would like an appointment for Monday next week.

me: Is there any way at all that you could come in any day this week rather than Monday next week.

she: Isn't Monday your last day in this office?

me: Yes it is. It's just that we will also be packing up the office.

she: But no we cannot come in this week. We would like to come in on Monday for our appointment. And then we leave Singapore for good on Tuesday.

me: We will see you Monday 2 June at 3pm.

They are not among my favourite work cases (is it any wonder?) And true to form, they are a pain to deal with up to the very end.

We will see them come Monday afternoon, provide the work that they seek from us and be damn proud that we have been diligently professional down to the last working hours.

6 comments:

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

its ok... just dont pick up your phone again after 2 June!

congrats again on moving out and moving on :)

Anonymous said...

I think one of the more prevalent fantasies that 9-5 salary whores have about business ownership is that when one is their own boss, they get to pick and choose their clients.

Little do they know the choice is almost always between putting up with it, or letting it get to you.

But congrats, because we all know the aim of the whole game is to one day be able to get out. 8)

wildgoose said...

You really are good. I might not have agreed if I were you. :p

sinlady said...

edpjunkie - haha, good idea. and thanks :)

jmalkavian - exactly right. and thanks :)

wildgoose - i am a pro right to the very end lor.

Suzie Wong said...

Heng ah not talking about me cos I came on the saturday :D

sinlady said...

suziewong - haha. definitely not calling u names.