Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dance with me


I love to dance. With whoever, whenever, wherever. Which meant I did not get to dance often.


Because there are few men who can dance. I mean really dance. I am talking about a man who can take a woman in his arms and sweep her across the dance floor with grace, polish and confidence that it takes her breath away.

To keep in practice, I join dance classes. It was a flawed rationale because there was always an acute shortage of men in class. Out of necessity, I became a "guy".

It was an eye-opener. This may be an obvious statement, but the guy has a lot of responsibilities.

He has to lead. He has to decide moves and transitions. He has to navigate across the dance floor without colliding into other bodies. He has to keep to beat. He has to gauge the ability of the lady so that she always looks and feels beautiful. Just getting used to the hand-wrist movements to turn/spin the lady is worthy of a full course all on its own.

Perseverance and experience paid off. I have become a very credible lead. I frequently get requests to be partner for dance events and shows.

I humbly oblige. Because I love to dance. With whoever, whenever, wherever.


6 comments:

Jodie said...

I have to say I am just the same hehe only I dont like to be led! which sucks for me sometimes!

sinlady said...

jodie! I share your sentiments LOL.

Anonymous said...

Good day oh Lady of Sin ! Pray tell where I might be able to find some such dance classes for when I feel my ungainly gait is ready for public humiliation. Might also serve to balance off the ratio! 8D

Suzie Wong said...

I know you're very good at it, but i really don't like partner dances (well, not unless the partner is a drop dead gorgeous hunky guy, which is why i choose the POLE...heehee.

wildgoose said...

It is wonderful to be able to dance. I've nowhere near knowing how to be led, so no way I can lead. Learning to be led already quite a handful for me. So many different ways just to signal a turn.

Johnny Malkavian - go for it!

sinlady said...

jm : pick dance of choice first. Then, like wildgoose says, go for it. Any studio!

sw: I got bellydance for the dance alone stuff mah.

If you don't already do partner dance, what you gonna do when the drop dead gorgeous hunky guy asks you?

wg: Not true! You do well in partner dance. Oh, the signal to turn thingy I took a long time to nail it.