Saturday, August 04, 2007

The action @Actors the Musicals Bar

Montage post production by JohnnyM Photography

Be glad there is one place in the world
Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came

You want to go where people know
People are all the same
You want to go where everybody knows your name

(theme from Cheers)

It has been a very long while since I was last at Actors the Musicals Bar. For many reasons. Maybe for no reason. I am not sure which. And it didn't matter.

I was greeted with squeals of surprise and delight from the girls. I happily acknowledged the big smiles and goofy grins from the guys. I got big hugs from everybody.

I draw comfort and assurance from the many familiar faces. I am curious about the new faces, strangers who will become friends before the night is over. This ready reception and acceptance is what I remember and love about Actors.

And then, there is the open mike - the singular feature that distinguishes Actors from other bars. The musicians and singers are Actor's own customers. Which makes for a supportive environment for performers (newcomers and veterans alike) to take to the stage. The genre and standard of music depends on who happens to be there. But no matter. You always have friends in the audience.

Aspiring musicians and singers looking for lessons before going on stage, click here. The rest of you who are so ready, the friends will see you at Actors very soon. Where they will soon know your name.

Actors, the Musicals Bar is located at
13A South Bridge Road
S.058657
(After Boat Quay bridge, left hand side
above 7eleven opposite the Riverwalk
parking at Upper Circular Road)

Tel: 98529988 (ask for Freddy)


9 comments:

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

i would love to go except that i hope its not the kinda place where they force u to perform!

i failed my singing class in Primary 1. Got a fear of the mike since. :P

wildgoose said...

How can anyone be failed for singing in Pri 1?!!

I just feel paiseh that I always turn Freddy down when he asks around if ppl would like to sing. But I really have no wish to nor know any song.

Anonymous said...

Is the lighting always so harsh, or is it just the flash from the camera?

sinlady said...

edpj : no one will force you lah.

wg : If got singing in Pri 1 during my time,I will fail too!

Usually Fri nights big turnout so Freddy not have to ask too hard :)

jm : the latter.

Suzie Wong said...

Oh thanks for using my best picture on that nite, i know it was hard to find one given my state that nite...haha (for the rest info, that was the same nite i conducted the army event in the day, i was a mess).

EDPJ, if suzie is there, you need not have to worry about being pulled onto stage. JM, neither, its the subject/object whichever u call it.

Anonymous said...

If you add me on MSN I can send you a colour corrected version of the montage. Warmer colours. 8)

sinlady said...

sw : I always use only nice pics lah. And you did not look bad anyway.

jm : Got the colour corrected version. Switched already. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

No worries. Thanks for the plug!

Anonymous said...

jm: my pleasure :)