Thursday, August 23, 2007

I Love Getai 881



I am surprised at just how much I enjoyed 881.

Sure there was the fascinating glitz and glamour (lian-style) of getai. The catchy Hokkien tunes that play happily in your brain long after the movie ended. The familiar backdrop of family both dysfunctional and supportive.

But 881 transcends the immediate environment. I love the universal and timeless story of daring to live out one's dream. I love the certainty that loved ones never abandon you. That emotional support is all around you. That you only have to believe in yourself.

Now if only I can stop the "yo-ah-yo" still playing in my brain.


7 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

I'd love to watch, a few people i know asked why I'm notie... in the movie....lol

sinlady said...

haha..I cannot decide if that is a compliment or not.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

sw, maybe in the movie's sequal, u might have a cameo as the one and only pole dancing singer in getai in Singapore!!!

wildgoose said...

What yo-ah-yo? Did I miss something in the movie?! :D I enjoyed the movie tremendously too.

Suzie Wong said...

Let's just say my "ah huay" suzie persona is very convincing! Lol ...here i go...."yo-ah-yo"...Btw WG it's at the last part of the trailer!

3A Gurl said...

is it still playing in your brain? am still stuck on that chen jin lang song about one person one half, then one person one quarter, etc etc. refrains can occur at the most inconvenient moments!

sinlady said...

edpj - ya! that's a thought for suziewong.

wg - the yo-ah-yo chant in one of the numbers. it's kinda like Disney's "It's a small small world" - it gets stuck in your brain and will not quit.

sw - oh ya, the "ah huay" personality can make an appearance in 88l the sequel :)

3a gurl - still stuck, stuck stuck. LOL. Ya the one half song also sama.