Saturday, July 21, 2007

Why Bellydance?



Bellydance is performance art at its best. The dance form is grace, self-expression, communication and connection all at the same time.


Bellydance is fun at any level. It is always a crowd pleaser and nearly always elicit a response of "Wow, did you see that? How did she do that?"

Bellydance is self-affirming. No bellydancer is ever too old, too fat, too ugly, too klutzy. The beauty in a bellydancer is reachable, accessible, understandable. Every bellydancer knows she is beautiful.

Bellydance is a skill that is uniquely yours and can never be taken from you.

So, I may be involved in several other dance forms but I will always have bellydance in my life.


8 comments:

Jodie said...

I have to agree with you..I love dancing and I will learn several other dance forms but belly dance will always be the biggest part of my life. The other one I must say that I am really into it is Afro-Caribbean dance which, to me, it is so powerful - as powerful as belly dancing - only different way. I dont know how to explain but the two give me different experiences in life.

and yes I am in the mood for BELLY DANCE!

sinlady said...

Jodie : Afro-Caribbean dance IS powerful. Unfortunately, I have not had much exposure to it. Hopefully that will change soon :)

wildgoose said...

Definitely agree on the self-affirming part. Funny how it just creeps up on you. I'm feeling very distant from it right now though. Played the CDs but can't feel the music. Only remember the simplest moves!

sinlady said...

wildgoose: No need for complicated layering to enjoy the music and dance leh.

wildgoose said...

Not even thinking of layering. Just not fluid enough for even the simple moves now. arrghh...

sinlady said...

wildgoose : do just the simple moves then, even if not smooth :)

Simone said...

I can sooooo relate even if I haven't done a shimmy or a camel or an anything for yonks. When the rhythms start up, the soul stirs and something magical happens :)

sinlady said...

simone: middle eastern dance is special like that :)