Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bellydance bellyache


I attend bellydance dinner-shows every chance I can. These are typically small productions by individuals who usually own and operate their own bellydance schools.


There has always been hitches with these events:

1. The quality of the shows is inconsistent.
2. The line-up of performers can change without notice or explanation.
3. The producers have unmanageable egos and are prone to throwing temper fits at their paying guests.
4. The producers impose nonsensical restrictions on paying guests (eg your friends from another table may not sit at your table even if you have empty seats).
5. The shows use this one singularly corny, sexist, insufferable bore of an MC.

I put up with these bad practices because

- I want to support the producers who bring in these shows.
- It is a chance to see some of the best talents in the world of bellydance.
- I love the dance and the dancers.
- Many of my bellydance friends generously donate their time to these shows.
- It is always a time to catch up with friends.

I was looking forward to attending one such event. I persuaded some friends to join me, and one of them volunteered to get the tickets. Nothing went right:

- The ticket price was not as posted on their website. An oversight, so claimed the flunky who was managing the ticket sales.
- Then the flunky claimed the show was completely sold out.
- Then the flunky changed his mind and said there were still tickets available.
- But the tickets were not with him at the time.
- The producer had all the tickets with her.
- The producer was in Perth.
- So, the flunky blithely told my friend, she would just have to come back another day.

NO!

Neither the friend, nor any one of us for that matter, will come back another day to repeat this exercise in time-wasting. In fact, we will not be attending any more bellydance dinner-shows if they are not better organised, managed and presented.

There comes a time when I cannot and must not make excuses for shoddy treatment and pay for that dubious privilege. That time is now.


6 comments:

wildgoose said...

Just to add:
1)called the producer a few times over a couple of days on the hp but doesn't pick up phone so I called the shop.
2) flunky 1 (a 'she') who picked up the phone in the shop said cannot reserve tix so must go to the shop to purchase. But she took down my name and contact anyway. She's also the one who said the website price is wrong and was changed but the website still reflects the lower price.
3) flunky 2 (a 'he') in the shop was the one who had no idea what's going on.

Definitely not going anymore!

Suzie Wong said...

now you know why i never want to attend any. spend money to get annoyed!

Anonymous said...

Ownself organize lor. If they really suck so much, and you seem like you have the contacts anyway, why not?

I'll be your first patron. 8)

sinlady said...

wg : sorry hor. worse than I thought.

suziewong : you were right all along.

johnnymalkavian : I make sure you get ticket # 00001.

Anonymous said...

i want ticket #007 can ?

sinlady said...

johnnymalkavian : can :)