Sunday, July 01, 2007

I can dance

She phoned out of the blue. I have not heard from the girlfriend in months.

But our relationship is like that. We were schoolmates. We move in different professional and social circles. We get together for the occasional lunch or dinner a handful of times a year.

She was organising a thank-you and birthday party for special friends. She thought it would be a wonderful idea if I'd bellydance for them.

Caught totally unprepared, my immediate response was like, "No lah. I have no time to prepare."

She, ever the wise and patient one, simply and quietly said, "Look, why don't you think about it and call me back? It would mean a lot to me."

I got to thinking:

- It was a sincere request from an old friend.
- It would be false modesty on my part to refuse on the basis that I am "not good enough".
- Even more lame to say I have no time to prepare.
- I did not even have firm plans for the weekend.

In other words, there was no good reason to say no, only selfish ones. In fact, there was every reason to say yes:

1. My girlfriend thought enough of my ability to ask me.
2. Bellydance is always a crowd pleaser.
3. I can bellydance.

This group turned out to be a very responsive and receptive audience. The ladies readily warmed to the dance. They were thrilled to try; we were all ecstatic to manage a little choreography so everyone became an instant bellydancer.

I remember again why I love dance - it brings joy to everybody. I am grateful I can dance. And even more grateful for the chance to share this joy.


7 comments:

wildgoose said...

aww... it's always great to have frens share the dance.

Suzie Wong said...

It's the dance, but very often it's the dancer, and you are THAT dancer

sinlady said...

wg - yes. absolutely so.

suziewong - BIG thanks for saying that :) Don't think anyone will ever think to ask me to sing LOL

Suzie Wong said...

Yes, you are, in every sense you are such a leader, a big sister. But er....ya, leave the singing to me...at least let me have an area to 'tan-jiak'..lol

sinlady said...

suziewong - Big sister? Sometimes I more like auntie. LOL. I know my limits. I cannot sing. And you have killer talent to sing, dance, pole, MC, act in all diff settings. WOW.

Jodie said...

I understand what you were thinking when you first heard of the request from your friend, I have to say your friend probably understood you as well, hence she kindly asked you to reconsider about it because I believe she knew you could do it!

Congrats on the successful on the event though :-)

now, off the topic ... I heard ummm shoot what's her name? (she was with superstars) Jenna? something? gosh I seem to have lost my memory! but yeah I heard she was going to have a workshop in Singapore. Have you heard about it?

:-)

sinlady said...

Jodie: thanks:)

Info of the event/workshop you are thinking of is available at pyramiddancer.com.sg

I will be attending. Let me know if you can come down to Sg. Will be way cool to meet up :)