Thursday, March 29, 2007

What price Vanity?

My initial excitement about vanity plates in Singapore may be short-lived :(

I always thought there was only one way to own vanity plates.

You create your own alpha-numeral combination within the maximum allowed and submit it to the relevant authorities. If the combination is not already in use, it's yours for a fee till you give it up.

Then I hear friends using words like "bid", "can be expensive if popular". My curiosity is aroused. Some checking around revealed that indeed there are bidding/auctioning systems.

I am not so sure I will want to bid for my vanity plate. It just doesn't sit right with me. Yet I am not able to articulate what is wrong with it.

I know I will be able to present my case against the auction system on another day.

4 comments:

wildgoose said...

I just think bidding is not democratic. What's $10,000 for a multi-millionaire to bid for a plate? But that's a lot for the average middle-class person. I like the first-come first-serve system.

sinlady said...

Thank you WG. I agree letting loud-mouth money always do the talking gets irksome.

Suzie Wong said...

I don't know....bidding very dangerous leh. That day at hong bao river decided to bid for a painting for my mum as she has always wanted one for the wall, i watched for a very long time and realise some items were sold really cheaply when there are no contenders and i decide to give it a try. When i finally saw a painting that was so-so (can do la), the person who bid before me said "$38", so i raised my hand, put out 4 fingers, thinking that i just raise the bid by $2 to $40, and next thing realised it was sold to me at $48, $10 FREAKING DOLLARS MORE.....hahaha

There goes Suzie talking irrelavent again! Hee!Ok, ok, i know you not talking about this kind of pasar malam bidding!!!! kekeke

sinlady said...

Suziewong: Actually you are exactly right. You really can end up paying more than you mean to in an auction.