Saturday, March 24, 2007

Music of the Night

Touch me, trust me, savour each sensation
Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in
To the power of the music that I write
The power of the music of the night

I did not plan to see the Phantom of the Opera this time around. I saw the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical a number of times already in its 21-year run. I have exceptionally fond memories of the show when it played in historical theatres in San Francisco and Los Angeles where Box No. 5 was perpetually left empty for the exclusive use of the Phantom.

That is, until the publicity blitz began. First, a behind-the-scene/the-making-of expose on Central, followed by a 2-page write-up in the Straits Times.

And I am reminded why the Phantom holds the record for the longest-running, highest-grossing, most-seen musical in the history of musical theatre.

Phantom has everything going for it:

A simple timeless storyline of a love triangle
told against a background of lavish staging
and spectacular special effects,
supported by haunting arias and moving love lyrics.

I love this musical. I will see it one more time. And I will again be spellbound by its magic.

There is just this one thing I do not like about the romantic entanglement of Erik (the Phantom), Christine and Raoul.

Are you ready for this?

I STILL THINK CHRISTINE PICKED THE WRONG GUY !!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I´m back again,
if you´re interested in Sea & Islands see my site.
Regards

wildgoose said...

Christine chose Raoul right? I watched it so long ago in London after the long flight from Singapore. All I remember was that I prefer the singing of the actress at the matinee than that of Sarah Brightman (heard on CD). :P

Suzie Wong said...

Ah thanks for the reminder. i have discussed watching it but coveniently forgotten due to many things we have to do in that little couple time we share. Hmm....have to make an effort to plan

sinlady said...

dany : thanks. Nice site you have.

WG : aiyoh, you pichak lobang! I am not a sarah brightman fan.

SW : Have to book for mid april onwards to have good seats.