Sunday, March 11, 2007

the 70's


The 70's was a really special time. All my "first's" happened in that decade. First left home, first lived on my own, first love, first marriage, first break-up, first job, first world travel. My highest and lowest moments were born and played out in those years.

I lived life fully. That is to say, I lived life on the edge. I hung out with the fashionable party crowd of the drug-fogged brain. I rejected conventional and societal expectation, and it showed in my attitude, my lifestyle, my job. My sense of self was strongly identified with the counterculture of the 70's.

Desiderata is the written expression of those times.

The visual form is best expressed by the bright kaleidoscopic and psychedelic flower motif pop art of 60's icon Peter Max. I have a few of his early posters.

And every time I look at them, I still smile. For in our hippy-trippy mind-altered state, we were so full of hope and love for everybody...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Desiderata is one of my fave poems too - the words are just so wise and meaningful!

sinlady said...

I think desiderata will be meaningful for a very long long time. Thanks for dropping in :)

sinlady said...

mn tan! I just realized who you are as I was trying to remember the dessert you brought! Good to see you in here xxoxx