Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Lost-Found-Lost



It stormed today - a frightful tropical thunder storm - with high winds, claps of thunder and flashes of lightning.

I hesitated at the door. Then decided I would not leave my wet umbrella outside like the last time.

I shook the umbrella as dry as I could and strode into the dance studio. I went over to the corner where everyone left their umbrellas opened to dry. And did a double take when I saw my old umbrella! With the unmistakable red, white, black and peach check pattern. There. On the Floor. Left opened to dry. Right there. Before my disbelieving eyes.

The spurious new owner gave me her usual friendly smile and walked over to retrieve the Burberry. MY BURBERRY my brain screamed. How could this woman, my purported friend, have stolen MY Burberry and now acted like nothing was amiss? I wanted to confront her, wanted to call her a thief, wanted to yell obscenities in her face. But I did nothing of the sort.

I just stood there, dumbed and numbed, rooted to the spot. Watched her blithely saunter over to the cluster of umbrellas, pick up my burberry, wave goodbye and walk out into the rain. Watched her take what was mine out of my life.

I felt bile rise in my throat. I felt the blood in my veins run cold. I wished evil things upon her.

But the moment to speak up, to act out, to right a wrong, passed.

And I felt only defeat.

5 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

Sigh! You have let this happen to you twice. I still remember the shoe. But then again, what's next right? What if she asserts that it's really hers when confronted. I know you are a gracious lady who will never pursue this kind of petty people.

Anyway, SL, someone higher up with deal with it lah.

wildgoose said...

How horrid. I hope it's not the same person. Maybe I'm not gracious enough, but I'll definitely get rid of such people from my life. I don't need such "friends".

sinlady said...

Thanks you guys. I will get over this.

SW: Yup, crossed my mind what if she denies. I would not know what to say or do then.
WG: Not same person. But same type ie pretend to be your friend then take your stuff when you not looking.

Anonymous said...

Alamak!!! Where got pp like that one??!!!!! U would think she got the chhek not to bring it to a place where u wil be there, right??? Well, that is assuming that once was, is really yr (now ex) Burberry. For such expensive umbrellas, maybe can engrave name on handle or put some kind of impossible to remove sticker as 'evidence'?

sinlady said...

Hi VB :)Got people like that one. Thanks for your suggestion but I will not vandalise my belongings.