Monday, December 18, 2006

HAFLA

I love parties. Any kind of party. I especially love haflas. So when I got an invite to a hafla last weekend, I was all anticipatory for many reasons.

I have not seen the hostess for a couple of years. The major changes in her life are: she's moved twice and she's a mother.

The other ladies I rarely get to see because we circulate in different professional and social circles. It was therefore a treat to get together at all, never mind at a
hafla.

There was the food, the drinks, the sweets and most special at
haflas, there was the middle eastern music. And there were the dancers, every one of us. There is something indescribably intimate when bellydancers dance for the enjoyment of each other. There is the luxury of freedom to express that is not accorded in a public performance.

Then, there is the inevitable newsy girl-talk. There was
so much to get to: scandals to examine, gossip to analyse, sources to verify, rumours to dispel, intentions to dissect, friends to defend, foes to villify.

By night's end, truth and trust were restored. There was a collective sense of triumph...

I love parties. I especially love
haflas.

8 comments:

wildgoose said...

It was great meeting up again. I wished there was more dancing though. ;) Having said that, it's good to meet up to put paid to the nonsensical gossip some people circulate.

Simone said...

Sounds like FUN. MAN i miss bellydancing!!! I haven't danced for so long, I'm afraid I've forgotten how. LOVE the haflas you've hosted too :)

sinlady said...

wildgoose - I agree ;)
Simone - I will get bring back the haflas.

Suzie Wong said...

Yeah! I'm finally bouncing back, couldn't bear to visit other's blog for fear i miss my own. Now it's finally unlock, I'm visiting again.

Oh when and who's hafla was that? Be sure i get invited for the next one....haha

Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun!!!

sinlady said...

suziewong: u get invited to next one when u not up to eyeballs with work.

vb: haflas are great fun, esp when exclusively bellydancers :)

Anonymous said...

Can u pls, pls, pls organise one when I am next back in SIN?

sinlady said...

vb: We can work towards that. Failing which we go to Kazbar and jam with our friends:)