Friday, December 17, 2010

Real value, real gold

What should someone with spare money lying around do to ensure the money value isn't eroded by inflation over time?

Some suggest buying investment properties. But really, when the market plunges, real estate will not move.

Others suggest stocks and shares, foreign currencies and the like. These are more liquid and can be disposed of in small chunks, but share the same fate as real estate in a financial downturn - you dispose of these assets in small lots at a loss.

There is no such thing as investment diamonds and wines for the simple reason that there isn't an open market to trade in them.

I think the people who buy gold have it right. In times of plenty, the gold they own is jewelry. In times of lean, the gold jewelry is sold for its gold content, which unlike diamonds, have a fixed market price at any given time.

I don't wear much fine jewelry. And there is no point buying jewelry to hoard.

I think it is cool to buy gold bars and use them around the home. The smaller pieces make great paperweights; the chunkier ones are excellent door stops. Heh.

13 comments:

imp said...

woman! i swear your post is absolutely tongue-in-cheek. your last lines are simply hilarious! i second that. i'd never think of it, but yes, they're EXCELLENT door stops for any sort of door, no matter how heavy. KEKEKKEKE. just use a THICK piece of gold.

sinlady said...

imp - haha. but i really do have a healthy respect for money you know.

tuti said...

erm.. gold ah?
i only know the goldsmith will buy when ladies sell them back. :p

wildgoose said...

I wish I had bought more gold for my wedding instead of the worthless trinkets. :p oh well.

sinlady said...

tuti - that's all that counts :)

wildgoose - oh well. we live and learn. would you really wear gold jewelry? i never could decide for myself.

wildgoose said...

I feel that rose gold suits me better than yellow gold, but it's the latter that has value. And I worry abt getting robbed when I wear gold. :p I like my dowry necklace and bracelet set though. Wear them to show u some time.

sinlady said...

wildgoose - own all types of jewelry to enjoy lah. love to see the necklace/bracelet set :)

dancingbunny said...

you know what, my husband have exactly the same mentality as you. And, he really did purchase gold bars. Small ones lah.

I got a 5g bar (well it looked the size of a little chocolate piece) for my birthday. It is the most unromantic gift in this world because it ain't even nicely wrapped. But I am not complaining now. LOL

sinlady said...

bunny - use as paper weight, like i do with the one i have ! fun lah.

Anonymous said...

Hand you your '1kg gold bar' when it arrives. It apparently weighs the same as a real 1kg gold bar! You can use as a super KS paperweight or doorstopper. aaa

sinlady said...

aaa - awww...so thoughtful of you !

Anonymous said...

Still waiting for the day when I can use gold bars as paperweight! ) EDPJ

sinlady said...

edjp - can already lah. heheh