Saturday, July 25, 2009

Live well

I am still reeling from the sobering news that a school mate has had a heart attack. She survived the sneaky episode. But it sends a chilling jolt of reality through my mind, body and soul as I ponder the ravages that the passing years inflict upon us.

Life is far far too short to wait for dreams to come true.

I think of the women I know who are still waiting to slim down before they would get into a swim suit. The women who put off leisure activities because of domestic demands on their time. The women who put off self-development because...of what?

I think of the women who took control of their lives, starting around age 40. They laid to rest their long-dead relationships to start anew. They got married for the first time, or got remarried to someone they really deserve. They traded dead-end jobs for a career with a future. They started their own businesses. They bought their own homes. They became single mothers. Whatever. But the important thing is, they started living for themselves. They live self-fulfilled lives.

In my 40th year, I climbed Mt Shasta. Not life-changing. Not news breaking. But personally satisfying to have done it when I did. For I would not have the physical and mental endurance to do it in later years.

Life is for living. Life is transient. Life is worth living for yourself. Live it well.

5 comments:

imp said...

always always live for yourself.

you are living well!

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

i do agree that somehow people do take "unexpected" steps when they come to a certain age, perhaps its the realisation that life is too short to be waiting to do something.

youth is wasted on the young!

sinlady said...

imp - yes. thanks. you do too, for which i am always happy to know.

edpj - i think it's the sudden realisation that the "good" years running out.

wildgoose said...

Which reminds me, I've yet to go Nepal!
Life is too short to be spent waiting for others.

sinlady said...

wildgoose - nepal!