Wednesday, July 01, 2009

June

was the month
- I officially joined the rank of senior citizen at the entry level. I know mail relating to active aging is going to pour in.

- I thought about a birthday bash. It never happened. The only birthday bash I ever threw was at age 21; I realised then I could not deal with the fuss. I did enjoy small fusses made by the friends who did know about the birthday, and I want to thank you girls for making the birthday deeply meaningful and memorable.

- I want to thank the girlfriend for her gift of leopard print tights. She saw those and thought it was so me; I am flattered that she remembered I love animal print accessories and that she thought I'd still be able to wear them tastefully. I do and I can; I will.

- I had dinner with the family. The dysfunctional dynamics are fully intact. Some things will never change. I learn to see it as a constant in my life; there is perverse comfort to be drawn from that.

- Three entertainment personalities passed away. I am not particularly interested in the lives of celebrities, but these three were special:

- RIP grasshopper aka David Carradine. While I never thought much of him as an actor, I wished he'd be remembered for more dignified reasons than the sensational circumstances surrounding this death.

- RIP Farah Fawcett, the beautiful woman with the famous hair that inspired my generation in the 70s.

- RIP Michael Jackson, whose tormented mind gave us 3 decades of unforgettable music. The coming-of-age song for me was I'll be there (1970) when MJ was still part of the Jackson 5.

- I became more aware than ever that I did the right thing by making the hard decisions I did. There were people I hurt badly for which I will forever be sorry, but I had to do what I did.

- After all that I've done and been through, I know who and where I am. I am grateful.

10 comments:

Johnny Malkavian said...

All too well acquainted with perverse comforts and pointless birthday celebrations.

Here's to many more good years.

Happy Birthday!

sinlady said...

johnnym! thanks!!

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

happy birthday!

well, if it helps, being a senior citizen is like puberty all over again. u get 'student discounts'!!! :)

imp said...

ooh! happie birthday woman! live well, live long and prosper!

wildgoose said...

I never knew the Jackson 5 sang the original "I'll be there". His death is tragic.

Glad you like the prezzie!

sinlady said...

edpj - i think the only discount at my entry level is concession tickets for movies during work days :)

imp - trying and succeeding :) thanks.

wildgoose - love the prezzie. thanks again.

there were many songs in the 90s that were remakes of 70s songs. i still think many great hits came from the 70s. too bad a whole bunch of them OD'ed on drugs at very young age at that time. like joplin and hendrix.

Anonymous said...

kawan,

Selamat hari lahir, tapi u masih vougue mah.

Regards
NM

sinlady said...

nonya - thank you :) wah still vogue you think?

dancingbunny said...

Happy belated birthday!

Nevermind the bash, its a feel that counts :P

sinlady said...

bunny - thanks :)