Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Shameless freeloaders

I think the friends finally got tired of the one couple who only ever accepted hospitality and never gave anything in return.

I think the couple never thought of us as friends; I think we were always viewed only as potential customers.

I think we never thought of the couple as outright users and free loaders all this time because, well, we just want to think kindly of people.

At the last home dinner party, the woman free-loader made the usual pointless polite noises about it being such a lovely evening. The hostess said she could take the next turn hosting, to which the free-loader curtly said she is too busy.

Just recently, the man free-loader bumped into the host at their work building, and actually suggested we should all do dinner soon. The host bluntly and pointedly told the presumptuous boor that it is his turn. The lifelong committed free-loader had the audacity to say they can't because the wife doesn't cook. Well, who says anyone has to cook to show some appreciation for years of hospitality given to them?

I think there comes a time when the free flow of goodwill dries up because of non reciprocity. I think for this particularly shameless couple, the time is now.

I will not miss them.

4 comments:

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

tell me abt it. i stuck my neck out to get a present. but some people who were sharing just act blur after the gift was bought and didnt pay up!

sinlady said...

edpj - why are there even people like that?

wildgoose said...

You are really generous. That's all I can say. :)

sinlady said...

wildgoose - well, not necessarily generous, but it is a fun thing to do.