Wednesday, April 22, 2009

That wedding invitation again

The idea of a wedding that consists of just the solemnisation continued to bug me today.

I read and re-read our last sms exchange.


Me: What happens after soleminsation?
She: Dinner, n whatever these younsters r doing?

It just simply cannot be! It is plain not possible to plan what they call a school-themed wedding party at the premier wedding venue, have just the solemnisation and then turn everybody loose to fend for themselves!

So I sms'ed the mother of the groom again. I am blunt and direct this time.

Me: Where is dinner?

She: 10 course sit down Chinese dinner is at Chimes (sic) itself. Renting catheral (sic) hall for the dinner.

*sigh* I despair at my mis-reading of the invitation.

I looked again at the information provided:
Date: day-month-2009
Time: at sunset, 6:30pm
What: A School-themed Wedding
Where: Chijmes Chapel
Join the party!

Elsewhere, the same information read "... invite you, ...to a school-themed party at Chijmes chapel on the (day) of (month) at six-thirty in the evening, two-thousand and nine.

I give up. What is wrong with me that I cannot understand this invitation written in their English?

7 comments:

dancingbunny said...

holy crap...i dun understand as well.

sinlady said...

bunny - thanks you. now i don't feel the odd one out:)

wildgoose said...

I guess they assumed you know there's dinner. hah.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

maybe thats the plan! to assume that the parents' friends could not figure out what the wedding was about and not turn up. haha. reminds me of my own when i sent separate invites to my own friends

sinlady said...

wildgoose - why? it is not a given that dinner follows.

edpj - you did what?

wildgoose said...

well, that's usual, isn't it?

sinlady said...

wildgoose - i am not sure how usual the conventional arrangements are anymore.