Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Facebook vs blogging

It is everything it claims to be: a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them. People use Facebook to keep up with friends ...

Everybody but everybody is on Facebook. I will see pictures of parties, holidays, new baby, grandma's birthday etc etc. I will be so up-to-the-minute updated if I got on Facebook.

I finally caved in and signed up 2 weeks ago. I have taken the time to look around its features, built up a small list of friends, left one-line comments on some of their updates, took the mindless quizzes and published the meaningless results. I have not written anything of substance.

My original suspicion that Facebook does not work for me is now assuredly confirmed.

For a start, I do not want to be found by long lost friends who are long lost for good reason. So I registered for an account under my screen name. The small list of friends are real life friends. I am happy to read their brief and frequent updates.

I do not like the way Facebook tries to grab any name it can for me to add. Friend of a friend is my friend too. I particularly detest strangers from Kenya and other scam-riddled countries asking to be my friend.

Updates in Facebook tend to be activity driven. Look at me: doing this, going there, with these people, omg can you believe this! It's the Harley-Davidson of networking - full of noise and no substance.

I love my friends and respect their choice of Facebook as their platform to express themselves. I will drop in often to see what they've been up to, what their latest happening is. My contribution will be short comments and silly quiz results.

I do not have the desire to broadcast my activities, thoughts or feelings on a high frequency basis. Blogging will remain my preferred platform of expression.

I enjoy the more measured pace and considered content that blogging allows me.

6 comments:

imp said...

heng ah!!!!

i thought you were going to say you're giving up blogging!!!! i'll be sooo disappointed!! too little blogs write good stuff nowadays.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

actually i found fb to be really addictive initially, yah but it is odd not to add long lost friends whom i have deliberately lost

sinlady said...

imp - heng? haha

thanks. i am flattered.

edpj - fb just doesn't work for me.

wildgoose said...

hmm... i just find that it's so easy to update, that's too much stuff to keep up with. I just block ppl who always update inane stuff. :p

suzie wong said...

fb is more for pole students, event companies and related industry...blog is more for er...you all. Like u said, in fb once you write something, it's broadcast, like it or not. But blog i can only expect those who deliberately click on my blog to read.

i dun deny i've neglected updating & reading blogs now that i'm still in the building stage of my school. hopefully one day i'll be back to blog normally...

sinlady said...

wildgoose - i don't judge content:) i have 2 in my fb list i am thinking of blocking because they don't even pen anything ever. all stuff are from their children!

suziewong - fb works for you! no need apologise about fb or blog.