Sunday, January 06, 2008

Thanks. Bye. Delete.


Ok. I understand. Sorry I have disturbed u both with my problem. Thanks. Bye


I have read and re-read the sms countless times since receiving it some 3 months ago. I cannot decide if there is resignation or resentment in those words.

We met in Bali. She was the resident belly dancer in a restaurant and we struck up what I thought was a friendship. We kept in touch by sms and email. And some time over the next year or so, she left Bali for Jakarta. Her villa in Bali was put up for holiday rental.

Then I got email and sms from her saying that she was in desperate financial trouble. That she was putting the villa in Bali up for sale. That she could not get a loan from any bank. That she desperately needed to borrow USD20,000 from me to tie her over the next 3 months.


Alarm bells went off in my head. Was it reasonable to ask to borrow money from someone one met on vacation? Why was she not asking to borrow from her friends and relatives in Jakarta? Was this whole scenario for real? Was she for real?


After mulling over the situation for a full day and night, I sms'ed to her:

I am in no position to lend you any sum of money.

Her reply:


Ok. I understand. Sorry I have disturbed u both with my problem. Thanks. Bye

I cannot decide if there was resignation or resentment in those words. It bothered me for reasons I am not able to articulate.

I looked up her villa in Bali online. It is still hers; it is still being put up for holiday rental.


I know I will never hear from her again.

I understand now that the
"friendship" was pegged at USD20,000. And so, with equal parts resignation and resentment, I deleted her from my contact list.

10 comments:

wildgoose said...

It is strange to borrow so much from someone you barely know. It's not like $200. I would have done the same if I were you.

imp said...

it's quite dubious to even think about borrowing so much money from someone that you've only been talking to over sms and emails.

dunno. maybe she thinks you're worth a try. and if not, don't bother anymore??

Suzie Wong said...

Just thinking out loud what I'd say to that sms....perhaps.... "Hahaha, you must be joking. You're so funny" And don't on my phone for the next few days

sinlady said...

wg - she wouldn't bother with $200 :)

imp - i honestly do not know if her sob story is real but i still would not fork over the money. i only chummed around with her all of 3 days!

suziewong - oiy don't on my phone a few days will cost me a lot more than USD20,000 ! but i like your reply :)

Suzie Wong said...

Hahaha, oh ok. Then you should try my eldest sister's technic. The last time she had a log lost friend calling her up sounding extremely friendly with a "hey! how have you been!I've been wanting to call you for a long time". Sensing insurance or MLM, my clever sister reciprocrated with equal enthusiasm "Oh wow! So nice of you to call." And with a switch of tone, she continued "I haven't been all that good. Actually I'm in some financial situation, when are you free to come out for a chat". Apparently that friend hung up like she heard a ghost!

sinlady said...

suziewong - clever sis :)

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

wow so weird! even if its $200 i wont lend her.

sinlady said...

edpj - because of the situation right? rather than the amount? as in we met on holiday and were around each other 3 days over a year ago!

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

from experience, its just not good to be entangled in money matters with family, not to mention friends. but of cos its subjective. like whether you should open a joint account with your partner or not.

yah, and she sounds like just an acquaintance really!

sinlady said...

edpj - yes. yes. yes.