Monday, January 14, 2008

My favourite pizza


The absolute best thin-crust pizza to be had is at the Trattoria in Seminyak, Bali. Since it is not exactly in the neighbourhood that I can pop in whenever the craving grabs me, the next best thing is to make it myself.


I have tried different combination of flour mixes to come up with a crust that has that wonderful quality of crisp chewiness. This recipe comes closest to what I am striving for:

2 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1.5 cups warm water
400 g bread flour
200 g plain flour
3 Tbs olive oil

1. In small bowl mix dry yeast and sugar in half cup warm water and wait till mixture bubbles.
2. Mix salt, bread flour and plan flour in large mixing bowl.
3. Make a well in flour and pour in yeast mixture, remaining warm water and olive oil.
4. Knead until the mixture comes together in a ball.
5. Transfer to a well oiled bowl. Let dough rise in a warm place till it is twice the original size (takes about an hour).
6.Punch down the risen dough and separate into 6 balls.
7. Roll the dough out into 24cm rounds (or stretch it by tossing in the air several times).

It is still not quite what Trattoria puts out, but I think this is a worthy close second.

2 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

Yummmmm... reminiscing!

sinlady said...

suziewong - can repeat the experience as soon as u have some free time :)