Tuesday, January 08, 2008

LING-GER-REE

She came up to me, all smiles and sweetness, and cheerily asked, "Hi, can I help you? Looking for ling-ger-ree for yourself?"

I generally overlook mispronunciation. It is a lost cause after all. Yes, pronunciation can be a matter of regional influence. And I am no expert in linguistics.

But ling-ger-ree?

I suppose she thinks Ero (as in the brand name Ero Lingerie) is singular for Eros?

Sigh. Yes, thank you miss. I am looking for ling-ger-ree for myself. And you can help me.

5 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

hahaha...i remember dating this guy i was a wee bit interested in until he 'suavely' said "do you want me to park or hand it to the va-let"

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

at least the saleslady tried! haha

sinlady said...

suziewong - haha

edpj - i was horrified because she works in that business! but ya, she tried. sigh

Anonymous said...

i usually hear this hotel being called as 'SHANG-GER-LI-LA'.

then i cringe big time.

sinlady said...

imp - san-gar-li-lah in that sing-song way right? haha