Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The school friends

Many batches of visitors came through Singapore these past weeks. Some were friends from long ago, some were friends I got to know in recent years. Some are not even friends in any meaningful sense of the word; others are people I knew from long ago and wish I never met.

Then there is this very special small group of women from the earliest school days. There is a lot of shared history among us. We have seen each other through heartbreak days, harrowing experiences, and celebrated the little victories in between. These days, we only meet up when we have an old friend visiting. Those occasions are few and far in between, and I treasure every moment of the little time we have with one another before going about our lives again.

I often think I might like for the ones living here to get together more frequently. But we never tried. Because I think it is precisely because these opportunities are rare that they become all the more special.

And so, until I see them again, I will remember the open laughter and conversation we shared this one afternoon.

6 comments:

wildgoose said...

It's great how we can always catch up with old friends even after not meeting for a long time, and not have to say a lot to understand what's going on.

sinlady said...

wildgoose - ...and what is said is never repeated outside of the circle. i am just thankful for real friends like that...

tuti said...

unconditional friendship.
hard to come by these days.
i have a BFF that i've connected again, since primary school days. am very glad for that.

sinlady said...

tuti - we all need a few of these fearless friends to help us through the dark period...

Jo said...

I agree with you sinlady. We only need a few of them! :)

sinlady said...

jomel - yeah :)