Saturday, January 29, 2011

The days of the Chinese New Year

I am having a hard time sorting out the Lunar New Year days and dates. It has everything to do with the first day of the LNY falling on Thursday 3rd February. I cannot explain why new year being early and starting in the middle of the week confuses the heck out of me.

To add to the confusion, my English educated friends choose this time of the year to show off their non-existent Chinese-ness. There is something very jarring about the way they switch between referring to the Chinese Lunar calendar and the Gregorian one. They mention sam sap man, nin chor yat, nin chor ee, etc, then in the next breath they say that means the 2nd hor, 3rd hor, the 4th hor.

The numbers 30, then 1 through 15 are involved in the LNY. But do the people who are half baked in Chinese and English know what days they are referring to?

Maybe they do. Which means maybe I don't.

So, on some day during the eve of and during the 15 days of the Lunar New Year, I am sure I will see you at the right place on the right day.

Gong Xi Fai Cai :)

10 comments:

wildgoose said...

kekeke... are you hoping that some won't show up on the right day? I've noted the right day to show up on my calendar. ;)

sinlady said...

wildgoose - you i have no doubt will get to the right place on the right day heheh

the others, i keep asking about the day and place and keep getting different answers about whose home i should be at on which day.

imp said...

thanks ah. you've now royally confused me. i've got flights to catch at that time. i'll stick to ONE calendar! *covers eyes and shakes head after reading this post*

sinlady said...

imp - i agree stick to ONE calendar! you enjoy your holiday ya?

Jo said...

I knew that CNY is next week. First I thought it's Tuesday, then I thought maybe it's Wednesday, then yesterday, someone corrected me and informed me that it's Thursday. Ok.. so, I knew as of yesterday, that CNY chor yat is next Thursday. I think, good to have one of those chinese almanac hanging in the kitchen lah! :D

sinlady said...

jomel - oh no, you sound like you had the same confusion i had ! yup, need those horse racing calendars for cross reference. haha

tuti said...

ah yo echo you.
i have been having this conversation going to and fro when i said third day, you mean the 5th ah, and first day is the 3rd lah.

sinlady said...

tuti - i so happy to know i not blur all by myself :)

dancingbunny said...

I got confused too.
I keep thinking that 1st day on cny was on monday. LOL

sinlady said...

bunny - haha.