Monday, November 29, 2010

Bad Pennies and Bad People

Like the proverbial bad penny, they keep showing up.

The old boy of the dread couple from KL sent us an invitation to his 70th birthday in a stuffy country club in Penang, attire "as formally as you like." I suspect many of us are reluctant invitees who still remember vividly how painful his birthday party was the year before. So, as ungracious as it is, many of us declined the invitation. We should feel properly awful that he threw a party and no one came. But we couldn't bear to be tortured again so soon, you understand.

Then I get an email from the screwball woman back in the US telling me how "although we are so very far away, you are very near in my thoughts." She will be "coming to Singapore in February next year for a vacation and hope to be able to see each one of you while I am there." Sigh. I can still hope that she loses all our phone numbers...

You know how the saying goes that bad things come in three's?

I don't think I can deal with her, or her, or them.

I am sure there is no truth whatsoever to the silly saying. It is silly!

3 comments:

wildgoose said...

Say no to them! Just like you did to the first. You can, you can, you can. :)

tuti said...

it's getting easier to say 'no'. :P

sinlady said...

wildgoose - i must, i must, i must haha

tuti - it is actually. hiaz