Monday, November 16, 2009

Some table manners please?

I am fully aware that table manners differ widely with cultures.

I accept using hands instead of utensils; slurping long strands of noodles; making smacking noises or letting out a loud burp to show contentment. But all in context.

Where dinner utensils are provided, I really think it should be de rigueur that they are used properly.

I have stared horrified at all manner of faux pas at dinner tables. It makes no difference whether it is an elaborate dinner prepared by michelin-starred chefs at michelin-starred restaurants or at more casual bistros and cafes.

I see the man in a suit across the table use his left hand fist-like to stab and pin down the food, use the knife in right hand to saw (back-forth, back-forth) then spear the still-bigger-than bite-size food with knife and bring food to mouth!

I see the perfectly coiffed and made-up woman in designer evening-wear pin down a piece of dinner roll with fork, saw the bread, stab the smaller half of bread, use knife to smear butter on it then proceeded to take bites at the bread from fork.

I see diners put their entire face to the plate to get mouth nearer to food.

And others who wave their knives in your face while talking to you with their mouths full.

I think some portion of corporate or government money spent on leadership training or public-speaking or how to close deals should be spent on how to eat in a civilised manner at dinner functions.

4 comments:

Johnny Malkavian said...

I'm a germophobe; I almost never touch any food with my bare hands.

If you ever see a guy at a hawker center with a plastic over his hand while holding a piece of youtiao for dipping into his porridge, that's me.

Also the guy who can shell a prawn using only fork and spoon.

sinlady said...

johnnym - haha. will watch out for that guy at hawker center.

suzie wong said...

really can't tolerate those who speak with mouth full and ever so often accidentally spitting them out when articulating the "p"s and "t"s or "c"s..ewwwwwww x 100

sinlady said...

suziewong - oh eeowww x 100 is about right! even holding napkin to your face can't keep you safe.