Saturday, September 15, 2007

Pig--out @ Plum Village Restaurant


On the suggestion of wildgoose, the pig-out friends got together to try out Plum Village Restaurant in the suburb of Upper Thomson Road.

As Hakka Yong Tau Foo restaurants go, the place lives up to expectation. The signature dishes - stuffed yong tau foo, fried noodles and belly pork mui choy - compare favourably with the other Hakka Yong Tau Foo place.

The interior decor is done
a la Chinese tea-house style, which gives it a nice warm feel. The lighting is not overly bright or harsh. Service is friendly, efficient and adequate. The noise level is well within tolerance range. In terms of ambience in a family-run Chinese restaurant, this place is a lot more pleasant than most.

It all added up to a nice evening of eating out with friends.

Plum Village is located at:
16 Jalan Leban
Singapore 577554
Tel: 64589005

8 comments:

wildgoose said...

Thanks to you, I got to eat there again. :) It was a great evening.

Aelgtoer said...

Wow looks nice, I like hakka food too, especially the abacus seeds (suan pan zi). Will definitely give this place a try.

There's a decent authentic Hakka food outlet just beside the Singapore Casket, can't quite recall the name now but you can't miss it. It's just opposite the open air carpark.

The suan pan zi and mei cai kou rou (fatty pork with mui choy) is very nice.

Suzie Wong said...

ooh! I miss again!

sinlady said...

wg - it was really a nice evening.

aelgtoer - will look out for the place next time I am in that neighbourhood. U know, I don't think I even know what is suan pan zi.

suziewong - we asked! U said u busy with family dinner. Got next time. We book early to avoid disappointment hehe

wildgoose said...

suan pan zi is the fried yam balls. :) I didn't know what YM was referring to initially when he kept saying yam balls.

sinlady said...

wg - oh! I must have sounded stupid saying I not know what it is. The man can be so confusing at times :) Don't think we ordered it at the other restaurant.

Aelgtoer said...

Heh yeah, the first time my Hakka friend brought me to eat the suan pan zi, I was quite perturbed at the sound of abacus seeds. Didn't sound appealing, but ya once you try the nice ones, you're hooked. :)

wildgoose said...

Didn't sound stupid lah. Just a different name for the same thing. :)