Friday, September 10, 2010

What girls want

It was an evening of much food, drink, and celebration; three young men in the family had birthdays within a week of each other.

Understandably, the conversation was mostly "young" - decisions about school courses, early days at work, strategy on how to get ahead in life. It was refreshing to hear them chart the course of their future with unabashed enthusiasm and confidence.

Sometime in the evening, the conversation turned to a topic that must be so much more significant and mysterious at this stage in their lives. The guys asked of each other and the girls: "What do Singapore girls want in a guy?"

The guys (typical) then went ahead to list what they knew the girls wanted:
- Someone who will be there for them.
- Money has to rank somewhere up there.
- A hunk, a brain, and something or everything in between.
- etc

I have to admit I never wasted time in my brave young days pondering what I wanted in a guy, or what a guy wanted in a girl. I was with whoever fitted my needs best at the time.

I never asked for or needed promises of forever and ever and a day. Those were just words. Relationships are a lot more straightforward than people allow them to be.

The girl wants the same things as the guy. And the relationship that works is one where those requirements are met.
I 'll drink to that gem of an insight. And you guys should too.

7 comments:

imp said...

young boys are so cute sometimes.

my 2 cents' worth: relationships are not difficult to fathom once girls realize that they should just be true to themselves. stay firm to what they are and not compromise or change to suit someone else.

sinlady said...

imp - aren't they just? :)

i agree with your input on healthy relationships.

tuti said...

as what imp and you said, it makes great sense for sanity. i wonder if it's too old to make changes. you'll probably say it's not.
as i write, i have before me someone who is repeating the mistakes i made. only, i made them decades ago, and am still making. can't tell her. cos she may not listen, like myself then.

zewt said...

it's all in retrospect... eh?

sinlady said...

tuti - she will not listen. like we all would not listen.

zewt - it is also that...

wildgoose said...

I didn't remember that gem. But I guess if you have to think the r/s over hard, it's probably not right.

sinlady said...

wildgoose - gem about the girl wants the same thing as the guy? i only thought that, i didn't say it :)